Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mussel Man


Chris loves mussels. Whenever he gets the chance he'll pick up a bag of fresh mussels and proceed to cook with enthusiasm. This is one food he loves to eat, (another being ice cream, but I'll leave that for another post).

I hovered like a hawk, watching his every move so I can provide my faithful readers (all three of you), with a way of making slamming mussels. (And slamming it was!)

The recipe:
  • 1 bag of fresh mussels, cleaned
  • 1/2 a head of garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp. scallion, chopped
  • 2 slices of bacon, diced
  • 1/2 bottle of white wine (we used Yellowtail Pino Grigio)
  • Vietnamese hot chili sauce
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  1. In a wok, cook bacon until crispy, drain and leave half the drippings in the wok
  2. Add olive oil, toss in garlic and half of scallions
  3. Add hot chili sauce, stir until combined
  4. Toss in mussels
  5. Add white wine to mussels and cover for 5-8 minutes or until mussels open up
  6. Remove to a serving bowl and set aside
  7. Reduce white wine liquid still in the wok then pour over the mussels
  8. Sprinkle bacon bits and rest of scallions on top
Even though I'm not a fan of mussels, I ended up eating my fair share of this because of the juice, pouring it over my soba. This dish was lip-smacking good!

1 comment:

Yvo Sin said...

Never been a fan of mussels, but this is a popular recipe I see many variations of on TV. And they smell so good.... yum. Thanks for sharing!