Makes 4 cups
• 4 1/2 cups of water
• 2 inch piece fresh ginger
• 2 4 inch cinnamon sticks
• 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
• 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
• 3 stalks of lemongrass
• 3 tsbp. palm sugar
- With the handle of a knife, bruise stalks of lemongrass. Cut off tips and ends and tie into knots.
- In a large pot, add lemongrass, cinnamon sticks, cloves, palm sugar and ginger, and bring to a simmer. Do not boil.
- Add palm sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Turn off heat and add lime juice.
- Refrigerate until cold. Serve in glass with ice. Add slice of lime and cinnamon stick for garnish.
The combination of tart and sweet is perfect for a hot summer day, and the spiciness of the ginger and cloves provides a slight kick. This has become my favorite drink to make this summer. I've never been to Sumatra, but after sipping this, I am whisked away to the Indonesian island (if only by the tastebuds)!